httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2000 23:45:48 GMT
On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> [...]

I disagree completely.  If mod_random is written to re-arrange buckets,
then it is broken.  It is completely impossible to determine how a handler
will arrange the content in a brigade.  I entirely expect to re-write
mod_autoindex to use a single brigade to pass data down, at far fewer
buckets than it currently uses.  The only reason I haven't done so already
is that I have had bigger fish to fry and very little time.

Filters can not be written to expect data in any particular
format.  Filters have to accept buckets of data, and they have to work
with the data, not the buckets.  Otherwise the result of those filters
will be unpredictable.

There are only two reasons IMHO to buffer above the core filter:

1)  The ap_r* functions should do some buffering, so that we make as few
trips down the stack as possible.  This is an optimization and should wait
to be done.  I expect there will need to be some logic to ensure that we
don't try to buffer too much or at inappropriate times.

2)  The filter requires it.  This is something like our favorite
mod_content_length example, where the filter requires that it has all of
the data before it passes down the stack.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131