httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src CHANGES
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:02:34 GMT
On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
>

> > > Because I think there is a base-level expectation that the
> > > best place to get things FOR Apache is FROM Apache.
> >
> > That is an incorrect expectation.  The Apache group provides a web
> > server.  Any modules that get added on are just that add-ons, and they
> > don't belong in the base distribution.
>
> I see your point, Ryan: it is best not to load the base distribution down
> with a bunch of obscure stuff.  However, according to your criteria, we
> should be axing most of the modules that go into Apache 1.3.  Things like
> mod_speling, mod_rewrite, etc, could never pass this kind of test.

IMO, a few modules are useful enough to be included "by default". I think
there should be a more comprehensive "Apache_1.3.14-modules.tar.gz" or
similar, though, with many more modules in.

(snip)
> - They are much easier for users to find and install.  modules.apache.org
> is a good service, but it is far from easy for users to find and install
> trustworthy modules.  If the ASF ever started a really good system for
> maintaining external contributions (a la freebsd ports or whatever) then
> things might be different.  But at the moment, even an experienced user
> would need to spend hours putting together a couple external modules.
> If the question is "how do I do this", and the answer is "find,
> audit, download, install, and test modules X,Y, and Z", then
> Apache is a much less useful system.

An extension to modules, somewhere between Freshmeat and CPAN in
functionality, would be nice:

modules.apache.org/module/apache_1.3.14/mod_grok/latest.tar.gz
modules.apache.org/module/apache_latest/mod_grok/homepage

etc. If these were implemented via a simple redirect, a standard
link-checker script could identify any 404 modules!

> Obviously, there needs to be a balance.  Modules that are only
> useful for a tiny group of people don't need to go in the main
> distribution.  However, I see no reason why apache shouldn't include
> many good, simple modules in the base distribution.  Yes, it diverts
> developers focus from the "core" features.  But it also attracts more
> developers interested in "real world" features, and it makes a much more
> useful application.

Agreed. Having a smallish (1 or 2 Mb, maybe?) tarball of common modules
would be very useful, IMHO.

James.