httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <san...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:47:28 GMT
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
>> I think his point is we should be using apxs to build DSOs and that we do not
>> need autoconf/et. al. to add external modules. All the relevant compiler
>> settings, etc should be saved in apxs during an Apache build.  That's my
>> understanding anyways...
> I think forcing DSO for 3rd party modules is quite an unsatisfactory
> solution.

I definately agree on this being a problem. There are times where you do
not want to use DSO for security issues and reliability. Things are getting
much better here, but we aren't necessarily there yet.

I haven't really had too much luck using autoconf while the original sources
are on a read-only surface, but that might be because of my lack of experience
with autoconf.

--
Sander van Zoest                                         [sander@covalent.net]
Covalent Technologies, Inc.                           http://www.covalent.net/