httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander van Zoest <>
Subject Expat-lite
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2000 22:10:32 GMT
I am not sure how many of you are aware, but James Clark has delegated
maintenance of the Expat XML parser to a group of users of the code.
They have been working on a shared library version of expat that then
can be plugged into different things and *hopefully* work together more

Since Sablotron, Dav, PHP, mod_perl and all sorts of other projects use
Expat I would think it might be a good idea to either replace the
expat-lite that comes with apache with this shared library release
(with the hopes that all other projects will do this as well) when it
becomes more stable.

If everyone would then depend on this library we should be able to
eleviate most of the head aches we have had with this being part of

Or, should we takes this outside apache, and make it a dependancy.
I guess since we will be shipping mod_dav standard with Apache 2.0,
this is not really an option.

I would vote for it to be a seperate add-on module, but since this
isn't an option since mod_dav requires it, we probably should switch
to this expat library when a "stable" version becomes available.

Sander van Zoest                                         []
Covalent Technologies, Inc.
(415) 536-5218

>From :

Posted By: coopercc
Date: 2000-Sep-29 09:54
Summary:Expat 1.95.0 (1st shared library release)

Expat 1.95.0 has been released. This is the 1st
release under the new team to which James
Clark delegated maintenance of expat. Using
GNU autoconf and libtool packages, it has a
configuration script that builds and installs a
shareable library.

While expat itself is mature, this a
development/beta release.

I have personally built and run it under a Red Hat
6.2 system and a Windows NT 4.0 under

Clark Cooper

View raw message