httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Fielding, Roy" <>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:06:51 GMT
I don't see what the big deal is about a buffer filter.  Coalescing
is necessary if the data that is about to be sent out the network
is less than a defined (configurable) threshold and the stream is
not in a non-buffering mode.  That coalescing can take place either
within the TCP_CORK (if we are lucky to have one) or a buffering
layer.  Assuming that the module will implement writes "efficiently"
is not a reasonable thing for the server to do.

This is not a question of design purity -- I was always assuming
that such a layer would exist, for the same reason that BUFF exists.

View raw message