httpd-dev mailing list archives

From wmpe...@aventail.com (William M. Perry)
Subject Re: mod_gzip for Apache has been released ( with source )
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:56:25 GMT
TOKILEY@aol.com writes:

> > > In a message dated 00-10-13 13:16:18 EDT, Bill Stoddard writes...
> >  >
> >  > > Interesting.  Will this work with SSL (sorry, I wanted to comment on

> > this
> >  > > but have no time to look through the code right now)?
> >  >
> >  > Of course.
> >
> >  Do any of the browsers actually support the compression support in the SSL
> >  spec?  Granted mod_gzip will work effectively the same magic, but it would
> >  be nice to do it within SSL itself.  Just for giggles. :)
>
> If you content-encode first, then SSL... it's supposed to work.  If it
> doesn't, user agent is broken.

Yes, I know that, but there are actual compression-specs that you can
negotiate at the SSL layer instead of @ the HTTP layer.  Then things other
than HTTP user agents would get the benefits of compress-before-you-encrypt
behaviour.

This should really be on the openssl or mod_ssl lists, but thought I'd see
if anybody had run into experience with the various browsers yet.  I don't
think any of them support it, but I haven't checked mozilla in a while.

-bp