httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Olivier Cahagne <olivier.caha...@epita.fr>
Subject suEXEC and Alias with 1.3: bug or feature ?
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:59:50 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to know if it's possible to use suEXEC with the Alias feature
of Apache 1.3 (1.3.14 as of now).
I checked Apache source code (mainly suexec.c) but I am not an expert
neither so I'd like a confirmation whether it's possible or not.

Here's the setup we've been running for 3 years now (and regularly
updated with 1.2.x then 1.3.x):
Apache is compiled with suEXEC enabled to run CGI scripts with the user
id it belongs to.
The server runs under user nobody.

If I setup an alias in Apache httpd.conf as :

Alias /foo /home/users/foo/www

Every page called from www.site.com/foo is loaded from /home/users/foo/www.

But every CGI script called from www.site.com/foo will run under user
nobody, not under user foo.
This is strange because the same script called from www.site.com/~foo
will run under user foo as expected (suEXEC running fine).
There does not seem to any reverse Alias thing.

I searched for a similar thing on Apache's mailing-list, deja.com and
the bug reports but didn't find anything.
I already asked this in comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix but got no
answer from an Apache developer:
http://x60.deja.com/%5BST_rn=ps%5D/getdoc.xp?AN=578244314
I preferred to talk about this here before submitting a "bug" report.

--
Olivier.Cahagne@epita.fr