httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 on multiproc vs single proc
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:58:45 GMT
Austin,

I believe your choice of OS is going to make more of a difference on
your Web server's ability to scale with multiple processors than Apache
will.  I'm thinking here of the serialization (locking) in TCP/IP in the
Linux kernels prior to 2.4.  I've heard second hand that BSD is better
than Linux < 2.4 with respect to SMP scalability when you get up to
around 4 processors.  But with two processors it shouldn't be a big deal
either way.  A dual processor board with 2 500Mhz CPUs is probably more
MIPs per buck than a single 1Ghz board + CPU.

We added additional serialization in the Apache 2.0 threaded MPMs to
make certain operations thread safe.  I don't think anybody has done any
serious benchmarking to see how this new stuff in Apache 2.0 affects SMP
scalability.

Greg