httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Angus Marshall <Ang...@ucscarb.ac.uk>
Subject Proposal - Apache certification
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 16:07:25 GMT
I would like to propose a new Apache related project.

With growing interest in Open Source systems and increasing reliance on
software such as Apache, there should be a recognised, independent, baseline
standard for professionals to certify their skills against.

With your support, we propose to develop a set of qualifications broadly
defined as  :

ACA - Apache Certified Administrator (single platform, standard modules)
AACA - Advanced Apache Certified Administrator (cross platform and
additional modules)
ACD - Apache Certified Developer.

Our proposal is that, for each qualification, a baseline standard and
syllabus is devised. Training companies, Universities etc. can then apply to
have their training materials & assessments certified against the baselines
to entitle them to award the above qualifications. Each applying body would
pay a nominal fee to cover admin. overhead and to return some funding to the
ASF.

Re-certification would likely be required for major version releases, but
not for minor. (N.B. the qualification awarded should probably include the
relevant version number).

Users/administrators of the software would be free to take only the exams
(for a nominal fee to cover processing costs) or to take complete courses
leading to certification.

In fairness, I should disclose my own interest in this - I am an academic
who teaches Server admin. and also deliver commercial training courses,
including one on Apache.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.