httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Finch <...@dotat.at>
Subject Re: Piped logs and 1.3.x
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:27:19 GMT
"Victor J. Orlikowski" <v.j.orlikowski@gte.net> wrote:

>   Checking through the 1.3.x source, rotatelogs exits if it
>cannot open(2) or write(2) to the desired log file. So, it would
>appear that Apache attempts to write to the pipe to log a request,
>finds that the program died, tries to spawn it off again, and fails
>due to the lack of space. Then we attempt the logging/spawning cycle
>again, ad nauseum.
>
>   So my question comes: what should be the preferred behavior? Check
>out why the logger proggie died for certain well known conditions
>(i.e. not enough space left on the device), try (possibly failingly)
>to log it, and die? Or sit and spin? Or maybe another solution is in order...

Hmm, Apache assumes that the log process is reasonably reliable, so
log programs should be written with this in mind. I think that perhaps
rotatelogs is doing the wrong thing: mod_log_config ignores the return
status from write() so perhaps rotatelogs should do the same.

Tony.
--
en oeccget g mtcaa    f.a.n.finch
v spdlkishrhtewe y    dot@dotat.at