httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Splitting APR from Apache.
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:53:13 GMT
[ we had an offline discussion, but I'll respond here... ]

Doing the split sooner rather than later will help APR users. It will also
help us with Apache development because we'll have time to settle out issues
around the split. Just consider some of the problems with the htdocs split.

I'd rather see a split with add'l commit access provided on the APR
repository. I'm kind of -0 on commit access to apache-2.0, even though
logically it would be okay (we *are* adults here, and a simple advisory to
the committers to say "apr only" would be fine).

Asking non-httpd people to follow new-httpd@apache.org is just an exercise
in futility. There is simply too much unrelated traffic here to ask somebody
to wade through it.

I also believe that APR and its release schedule is independent of Apache.
Right now, we could actually call APR "beta" and do a release. In fact,
there is an argument that making a final 1.0 release of APR *soon* would be
a Good Thing. If people start to use it for whatever, and then provide
feedback for APR, then we could release Apache on a more stable APR (e.g.
target APR 1.0.2, or whatever, for our Apache 2.0 release).

+1 on splitting "soon" (for whatever definition of "soon" you'd like to use)

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/