httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:00:03 GMT
Except for the fact that in one fell-swoop we're dropping backwards
compatibility for platforms that worked just fine with 1.3 and
now won't for 2.0, something we've avoided from day one. Not
only that, we are saying, to the person who by need or desire
doesn't want to implement DSOs, "too bad Charlie." And it's
not because of anything inherent in Apache, but in the build
process we're using.

Hopefully at ApacheCon we'll be able to work something out. What
we'll need is some sort of config.ap file that ./configure can
parse internally... :/

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> > > I suppose it would be possible to add some gear to the top-level configure
> > > script to allow you to do something similar to an --activate-module which
> > > would end up pulling in a .a.  But again, I think third-party static
> > > modules should be the exception rather than the norm moving forwards.
> > >

> > My only concerns are (1) those platforms that lack DSO support
> > and (2) those whose DSO support is super crappy. Sometimes people
> > just prefer being able to add in modules statically.
> >
> > You know, that would be a interesting survey.
> Yes, but like I said, these are the exceptions.  And asking these folks to
> install autoconf/automake to get around the fact that their OS sucks
> should not be that much of an issue.
> -Rasmus

   Jim Jagielski   [|]   [|]
                "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate??"