httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Building and Linking 3rd Party Modules within Apache 2.0 Source Tree
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:28:27 GMT
Not enough.

The config.m4 files are collected into the top-level configure. In other
words, they are used *before* you run autoconf. But... our intent is to not
require users to need the autoconf toolset.

So: config files are out. We have to give them a dumber mechanism for
plugging into the build.

Currently, the output of config.m4 is modules.mk. But that is included by
Makefile, so I'd guess that it isn't "strictly" required. Therefore, it
seems possible to have third parties supply a Makefile.in that follows some
pattern.

[ note: they can *run* ./configure (thereby creating Makefile from
  Makefile.in), but they cannot run autoconf itself ]

Complex configurations are a different story. How do we get them to
participate within ./configure without needing to run autoconf beforehand?
Essentially, this means some kind of sub-config process much like we do with
APR and MM.

Yes, this is getting a bit ooky.

For mod_dav_svn, I've just been copying a libtool library into the right
place and linking it in. However, it has also been copying over a config.m4
and assuming the person runs autoconf, then configure beforehand.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/