httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_include.c
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2000 02:47:19 GMT
On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 03:25:27PM -0400, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net writes:
>
> > I had planned on letting this code work for a few days before making these
> > changes, because I wanted to exercise the code before I macro-ized it, but
> > I'm flexible.
>
> No, I'm in no hurry to go any further down this path.  I don't think
> what is there already is worthwhile.
>
> We don't have better performance and we don't need the change in order
> to allow modules to implement their own bucket types.

I'm completely with Jeff on this one. I see no gains, and only negatives, in
this "improvement". Shrinking the bucket size buys us very little, and (as
Jeff says) the enumerated type is only important for us to write code to
detect a few, special types. Obviously, we couldn't have code to look for a
third-party type, so it doesn't matter what their bucket type is.

In fact, I'd formalize it and introduce AP_BUCKET_TYPE_EXTENSION. All
extensions to the bucket system can use that.

Ryan: will you back that change out?

Cheers,
-g

--