httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@engelschall.com>
Subject Re: Plan for 2.0b1
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:57:13 GMT

In article <07d001c03233$68e54270$e4421b09@raleigh.ibm.com> you wrote:

> IMO, there is no way we can get this code ready for beta by ApacheCon, unless
> we are willing to change our definition of 'what is beta ready code'.
>
> I suggested releasing a beta right after alpha-5 (before the filtering work
> happened) and you dissed the idea because the code could not run everything
> required by www.apache.org.  The alpha-5 code was MUCH more stable that what
> we are likely to have by the end of October (or the end of this year for that
> matter).  Furthermore, my impression is that the Apache user community will
> expect our 'beta'  level code to be near general release level quality.  We
> are not even close to that yet.

Exactly!! And let me add this: Until Apache 2.0 reached the point where
the API _REALLY_ stabilised (means: third-party module developers can
rely on its look and feel and don't have to adjust their module code
once per week to get it compile and work again), there should be _NO_
BETA release. Once the API is really stable and fixed, we can name the
stuff 2.0bX. Lots of bugs still can remain and small adjustments are ok,
but it is IMHO definitely not acceptable for a beta release to still
be in flux according to the programmer visible (API) and user visible
(server functionality) things. So I'm convinced that Apache 2.0 is still
far away from a BETA point, so we really should forget the idea of a
2.0b1 at ApacheCon...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com