httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Filtering Concern
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:06:38 GMT
On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 02:11:10PM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Jon Travis wrote:
> > In fact, one could even wrap some of the add_{input,output}
> > with routines that take a request_rec and setup the ctx
> > accordingly.  Though, this would be a bit more code than
> > we already have.
>
> So, we are going to take a simple API that always works into a set of two
> APIs?  I would really rather not.  The thing is that currently, just about
> everything in Apache requires that there is a request_rec.  We have added
> the ability to replace the protocol type, but in reality, we still pretty
> much rely on a request based protocol.  I am just not in favor of making
> this change, because I don't think it buys us anything of any real value
> here.

Agreed.

Filtering is actually quite HTTP specific. I can't imagine using filtering
for things like NNTP, POP, SMTP, etc. If those protocols want to use it,
then they can design some kind of protocol-specific filtering.

For now, at this stage of Apache development: keep the request_rec in there,
as Ryan says. It would just be too painful to try and abstract that.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/