httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Expat-lite
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2000 22:39:11 GMT
Yup, I've been watching the project (even posted here with a note about it).
I have yet to try it, but definitely will -- since part of Clark Cooper's
whole purpose of working on it was to provide better interop for Apache,
mod_dav, and mod_perl when the Perl XML::Expat module is used. I figure that
I'm just as responsible for ensuring that interop. (note that it was also
called 1.95 rather than 2.0 simply because I was away when Clark was ready
and couldn't test it; the move to 2.0 will occur after our verification)

If it slides in really easily, then we might simply want to redist the
package from apache.org rather than include it into our source tree.
Currently, we have it in our tree because we make changes to it. But if that
doesn't happen, then a redist is appropriate.

Assuming that we redist, then mod_dav would simply not be enabled unless
Expat was available (from wherever). If the user tried to enable it but
Expat couldn't be found, then we'd generate an error message during the
config. Note that this would also allow for us to find Expat installed on
the system in a "standard" place by a .deb or .rpm package.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/