httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: 1.3.15
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 01:39:20 GMT

In a message dated 00-10-22 18:52:49 EDT, Jim Jagielski writes

> Patches only for such a quick turn-around release I think.
> So just the mod_rewrite/Win-32 exec/Netware goodies. :)

Roger that... but please clarify something for myself
and for others, if you can.

What is the future of Apache 1.3.x?

Will the addition of new features and modifications to the
1.3.x stable series ever be taken seriously or is Apache 1.3.x
really just 'Dead Man Walking' at this point?

Everyone is so wrapped up in trying to get 2.0 MPM to Beta that
this issue has been lying on the table for some months now
and no one with committ status at Apache has ever really
given a good answer. Contributors can submit all they want.
Those with committ status and what they will or will not do
are the ones running the show.

Will all future 1.3.15 or .16 or .xx releases of Apache be
just 'bug fixes only'?

You realize, of course, that full widespread use of Apache
2.0 if/when it even becomes available is probably years away
so I ( and others ) would like to know what the 'official' ASF
Apache Server Group take is on the future of the stable
Apache 1.3.x series.

If people have to accept the fact that Apache does not have
the resources or the manpower to review new feature submissions
for both Apache 1.3.x and 2.0 and the stable tree is truly and
forever closed to enhancements then I think that needs to be aired
because I think this is going to shock a lot of people.

1.3.x 'Dead Man Walking'.... or no?

Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc. - Free IETF Encoding Server - Free Enhanced ApacheBench - Free Apache Content
Acceleration module

View raw message