httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <stodd...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_protocol.c
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2000 14:41:46 GMT
> > stoddard    00/10/05 07:01:03
> >
> >   Modified:    src/main http_protocol.c
> >   Log:
> >   Disable the buffer_filter because it may be masking bugs in the bucket
brigade
> >   code.
>
> What bugs are you seeing that you think we may be masking with this
> buffer filter?

If I knew what they were I'd fix them!  The buffer filter takes a lot of load
off the brigade code by drastically reducing the number of brigades and
buckets pumped through the filters. The harder we stress the brigade code, the
more likely we are to flush out any remaining bugs (if there are any). If
removing buffer_filter causes any problems, add it back in.

BTW, I expressed some concerns early on with the bucket brigade/filtering
code. I am a believer now. We still have a long way to go to get Apache 2.0
out and I'm sure we will run into some sticky design issues, but overall, I am
pretty impressed.  I am still concerned about complexity of the code base but
I am not sure there is much more we can do to reduce the complexity.

Bill