httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <>
Subject Re: 1.3.15
Date Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:14:21 GMT
From: <>
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2000 12:39 AM
> In a message dated 00-10-22 18:52:49 EDT, Jim Jagielski writes
> > Patches only for such a quick turn-around release I think.
> > So just the mod_rewrite/Win-32 exec/Netware goodies. :)
> Roger that... but please clarify something for myself
> and for others, if you can.
> What is the future of Apache 1.3.x?

To try to state this much more politely and optimistically, Apache 1.3.x
is at the end of it's new feature stream.  If a new feature doesn't address
a security vulnerability or fundemental flaw, it is just going to get harder
to ask individual members of the httpd project group to take the time to
review new ideas.

The majority of group members are hacking into 2.0, experimenting and
trying to break it or expand it.  If someone pops up a 2.0 idea, it makes
good sense for several of many folks to test and posit an opinion.

Nothing goes into the tree without peer review, except perhaps platform
specific fixes to OS's that are underrepresented in the group.

I know this appears disappointing, but Apache 2.0 is the place for new
ideas and creative solutions to grow.  I really doubt we will see an Apache
1.4.0, ever.  The http/1.1 implementation is absolutely frozen until someone
can prove there is a fixable fault.

> Will the addition of new features and modifications to the
> 1.3.x stable series ever be taken seriously or is Apache 1.3.x
> really just 'Dead Man Walking' at this point?

No, it's a mature man who rarely needs medical attention, and is living
out his live quite nicely, thank you.  But he can't get into Slims, the
is gonna stop him at the door.

> Everyone is so wrapped up in trying to get 2.0 MPM to Beta that
> this issue has been lying on the table for some months now
> and no one with committ status at Apache has ever really
> given a good answer. Contributors can submit all they want.
> Those with committ status and what they will or will not do
> are the ones running the show.
> Will all future 1.3.15 or .16 or .xx releases of Apache be
> just 'bug fixes only'?

Not necessarily.  But you need 3 +1's to move forward with anything
(and no -1's with technical justification).  The httpd.d conf directory
idea was new, it got in.  It simply had enough testers/advocates.

> You realize, of course, that full widespread use of Apache
> 2.0 if/when it even becomes available is probably years away
> so I ( and others ) would like to know what the 'official' ASF
> Apache Server Group take is on the future of the stable
> Apache 1.3.x series.

Of course.  1.3.x users don't WANT their server changing, it's working
very nicely.  When they look for exciting new features, then 2.0 awaits.

> If people have to accept the fact that Apache does not have
> the resources or the manpower to review new feature submissions
> for both Apache 1.3.x and 2.0 and the stable tree is truly and
> forever closed to enhancements then I think that needs to be aired
> because I think this is going to shock a lot of people.
> 1.3.x 'Dead Man Walking'.... or no?
> Yours...
> Kevin Kiley
> CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.