httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Olivier Cahagne" <olivier.caha...@epita.fr>
Subject Re: suEXEC and Alias with 1.3: bug or feature ?
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:56:42 GMT
Hi,

> >I'd like to know if it's possible to use suEXEC with the Alias feature
> >of Apache 1.3 (1.3.14 as of now).
>
> Not in the way you want to. It only runs CGIs under a different user
> id for /~user/ paths (UserDir) and for <VirtualHost>s that contain
> User and Group directives.

Well, then, it should be documented there's no reverse Alias mechanism, or
clearly stated in the documentation that this is not possible. :)

I'm running Apache with suEXEC with many (3000) users (students), the way it
runs with /~user/. Everything is working fine, /~user/ CGIs running with
user id and / CGIs running with user nobody (for e.g.).
But, for some reasons, I wanted some Alias for e.g. www.site.com/project
pointing to /~user/project/
I thought a CGI called from /project/foo.cgi would be running under the same
user as /~user/foo.cgi but it does not. It runs with nobody identity.

That's why I wonder whether it's a bug or a deliberate feature: why can't
Apache guess the CGI is called from an Alias, resolve this Alias, see it's
in fact a User, then call suEXEC ?

Regards,