httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: [inq] short, concise, and to the point
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:13:06 GMT

I'm very, very unclear here.  What are we defining as a location?

If a <Location > refers to the URI, and I have a lookup cgi on unix
that is handling the /lookup location, and the data is case insensitive,
then I may wish to add a block such as:

<Location /lookup/home-phone>
  require group management
</Location>

The lookup script accepts home-phone, or HOME-PHONE, without complaining.

I guess I'm asking, why the absolute opposition to accomodating
case-netural URI locations for those cases that are affected?
You maintain that a location is case sensitive, but I'm arguing
that not every system/namespace is case sensitive.

Perhaps this could be (like regex parsing) a syntax such as

<Location ? /uri>

where ? is a case-insensitive flag.  I am -not- suggesting that Location
must always do case-neutral comparison!

> What we need is a way for Directory to indicate how the filesystem
> should be checked, such that case-sensitive filesystems do not suffer
> from the extra name canonicalization required of case-insensitive
> filesystems.

They don't today, do they?  Win32/OS2 lowercases these <Directory >
block tags and the request name, and uses those canonical names
for comparison.

Agreed that we may have a unix share on an NT server, or an NT volume
mounted to a unix file system, that messes up everything :-/

> This has to be part of Directory because of remote mounting.

Yes - <Directory > is a filesystem tag, and should become smarter
about which sections are case sensitive vs. insensitive.  I'm simply
addressing the complaint that <Location > blocks are meaningless on
Win32/OS2 systems, and have been for 2 years.

Bill