httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject RE: [inq] short, concise, and to the point
Date Tue, 03 Oct 2000 14:24:36 GMT

The underlying problem is that a Win32/OS2/NETWARE admin configures the
following block:

DocumentRoot C:/Webspace

<Location /Private>
    require valid-user
</Location>

<Directory > blocks, since they are real entities, remap the case and
test the canonical names to the true name for comparison.  Location
blocks can't do this.

If a user requests /private/chargecards.dat, they will get it, without
passing the valid-user test.  This is why we must add a case-insensitive
Location block, or break every installed 1.3.x site by making all file
names case sensitive.  FilenameIsCaseSensitive On will be a new option
in 2.0 - but I don't plan to go that far with 1.3.13.

Oh, it's a problem on Unix as well... if you use it to protect virtual
cgi or database spaces that are case-insensitive.