httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Underlying t&r issue
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:00:56 GMT
Bill (and others),

  We need to rethink how foreign import tables are supported.  While
half the answer lies in good APx_EXPORT* symbol use (to make clear to
all of us what is being exported), the other half are the export lists.

  On Win32 specifically, based on the performance of 'hints' and symbol
table hashing within Win32, I am +1 for eliminating all export ordinals
from 2.0.  I am also +1 for including exports by reference, please
see apache-1.3/src/os/netware/NWApacheCore.def for an example.  This
will improve our binary compatibility.

  I am picturing shared symbols stored in this structure:

  src/main/httpd.exp : shared symbols from the core
  src/modules/standard/mod_blah.exp : shared symbols
	src/os/netware/ApacheCore.exp : NW specific symbols]
	src/os/netware/ApacheCore.def : contents:
          EXPORT @../../main/httpd.exp
          EXPORT @../../modules/standard/mod_blah.exp [for each mod]
          EXPORT @ApacheCore.exp
	src/os/win32/ApacheCore.exp : Win32 specific symbols]
	src/os/win32/ApacheCore.def : contents:
          EXPORT @../../main/httpd.exp
          EXPORT @../../modules/standard/mod_blah.exp [for each mod]
          EXPORT @ApacheCore.exp

  This would have prevented the mess this morning, and thank you,
Mr. Cox, for holding the roll while two bills whipped the tables
into shape.  Good job to you too, Mr. Stoddard :-)