httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <>
Subject Re: subrequest filtering (yet again)
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:06:43 GMT
Jim Winstead <> writes:

> On Sep 21, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > I gather that most folks want a subrequest to inherit the content
> > filters associated with the original request.  Why is this?  If the
> > set of filters isn't appropriate, you can't get rid of them.  If the
> > set of filters is appropriate, then the configuration associated with
> > the subrequest URI would have caused the right filters to be added
> > anyway (unless the URI of the subrequest is only requested via a
> > subrequest).
> >
> > What am I missing?
> i don't see how including the results of a subrequest should be
> any different than including a file. or the results of an external
> request. or any other bit of data that a content-generator generates
> (whether it be the first thing in the filter-chain or something in
> the middle that is inserting content).

A subrequest is different in that it will cause its own configured
filters to be added to the chain.  I think I'm getting hung up on
cases where filters for the original request clash with filters added
for the subrequest.

Jeff Trawick | | PGP public key at web site:
          Born in Roswell... married an alien...

View raw message