httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_cgi.c
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:15:44 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> > Why is it important for mod_cgi to send down the eos bucket?  It seems
> > at best to be a minor optimization, it currently introduces
> > broken-ness because of what ap_finalize_request_protocol() does, and
> > even if the ap_finalize_request_protocol() calls can be safely
> > removed, the EOS still doesn't work right for subrequests until
> > ap_pass_brigade() knows to axe the EOS before it hits the connection
> > filters.
> >
> > Plz help me understand (or don't complain if I yank the EOS from
> > mod_cgi :) ).
>
>                                 The reason it is important, is that it is
> impossible to add the heap bucket created by reading from a pipe bucket,
> in a single entity brigade.  That is the BS reason though.

I fixed an unconditional b->next->prev reference in there recently
which may explain that problem.  After that, I didn't see any breakage
when cgi didn't add the EOS.

>                                                             the real
> reason, is that it allows for so much flexability to have the content
> generator say when it is finished generating content.  It just doesn't
> make sense for Apache to say it is done, when the content generator is the
> only thing that really knows when it is donr generating content.  The real
> fix is to fix the rest of the handler functions, and remove the code from
> the finalize protocol function.

The generators already have a way to say they're done generating
content: they return from their handler.

Whatever...  I wasn't willing to decide that I understood all current
uses of ap_finalize_request_protocol(); it seemed crystal clear that
getting rid of the EOS in mod_cgi was a net reduction in the amount of
breakage.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...