httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: subrequest filtering (yet again)
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 01:05:27 GMT
Jim Winstead <jimw@trainedmonkey.com> writes:

> On Sep 21, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > Jim Winstead <jimw@trainedmonkey.com> writes:

> > > i don't see how including the results of a subrequest should be
> > > any different than including a file. or the results of an external
> > > request. or any other bit of data that a content-generator generates
> > > (whether it be the first thing in the filter-chain or something in
> > > the middle that is inserting content).
> >
> > A subrequest is different in that it will cause its own configured
> > filters to be added to the chain.  I think I'm getting hung up on
> > cases where filters for the original request clash with filters added
> > for the subrequest.
>
> why are they added to the chain? only the contents generated by
> that subrequest should go through any filters that subrequest
> uses.
>
> jim

True...  I meant "added to" in a different sense; the contents
generated by the subrequest will go through any filters for the
subrequest in addition to remaining filters for the request.  (Today,
unfortunately, subrequest output goes through all filters for the
request instead of just the remaining ones.)

If the request filters are

            FILTER1 FILTER2 FILTER3

FILTER2 creates a subrequest, whose filters are

            FILTER4 FILTER 5 FILTER6

Once a current problem is fixed:

The subrequest output will go through FILTER4 FILTER5 FILTER6
FILTER3.  In other words, the subrequest filters were added on to the
remaining request filters.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...