httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: new toy -- mod_ext_filter
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:45:47 GMT
Jeff Trawick <trawickj@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Something like this would be a good start (i.e., I haven't tested it):
>
>   AddOutputFilter EXTFILTER
>   ExtFilterCmd /bin/gzip
>   Header set Content-Encoding gzip

FYI...  I just tried the setup above...

. It seems to work fine with IE5.5 (HTTP/1.1 enabled).

. I'm getting some flakiness with Netscape 4.7:

  o If I ask for index.html then the html displays fine but the gif
    on that page is not displayed properly.

  o If I ask for the gif directly it displays fine.

  o I suspect that this flakiness is related to the lack of a
    Content-Length header field (removed with a local code change),
    but I'm not sure.  Disabling keepalive didn't help surprisingly
    (maybe I screwed up somewhere).

    It would be nice to try it with the hypothetical Content-Length
    filter which constructs the proper Content-Length header field and
    see if that makes netscape happy again.  We need some
    infrastructure help before a Content-Length filter can be
    written.

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...