httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: AddOutputFilter hook needed?
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:42:23 GMT
rbb@covalent.net writes:

> > For some reason it took me a while to grasp what Ryan was saying
> > yesterday about why there is no need for the insert_filter hook, but I
> > think I agree with him.
> >
> > There is no new information available to the module at
> > insert_filter-hook time, so the module could have just as well decided
> > to add the filter during a previous hook.
>
> YES!  This is exactly it.  So, did it take a while because I wasn't
> describing it well enough?  From reading Greg's message earlier today, I
> got the impression that I wasn't describing what was needed well
> enough.  Did my response solve that?

The text in this passage talking about the core doing the
ap_add_filter() temporarily diverted me from seeing the point:

  "#2 The mime type informs either the core or the module to
  insert the filter.  It makes more sense to me to have the core doing
  that, because the core has the mime information and the filter
  list."

After re-reading it a few times I got back on track with the main point.

Your response to Greg this a.m. certainly removed any doubt that I
knew what you were saying.  The joy of e-mail...

          Born in Roswell... married an alien...