httpd-dev mailing list archives

From TOKI...@aol.com
Subject Re: ContentDigest and filtering
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:43:32 GMT

In a message dated 00-09-22 13:55:08 EDT, Greg writes...

> For right now, I would vote for disabling the function when you know
> it's going to break, and putting the Content-MD5 filter on the back
> burner.  I think we have enough alligators gnawing at our ankles at the
> moment.

It's really simple. Who OWNS the MD5 cheksum?
Is it a CONTENT thing or a TRANSPORT thing?

If it's a CONTENT thing then it needs to happen just
after the final 'filtered' version of the CONTENT and
right before any TRANSPORT encoding/filtering kicks in.

If it's a TRANSPORT thing then it needs to wait until
the final 'filtered' version of the content is headed out
the door and be computed as part of the TRANSPORT
layer.

The MD5 thing won't be the only header value which is
going to force ( finally ) good separation in the HTTP
protocol handling of what belongs to the CONTENT ( Presentation )
layer and what belongs to the Transfer-encoding ( transport )
layer.

Yours...
Kevin Kiley
CTO, Remote Communications, Inc.