httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-site/contributors index.html
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:52:58 GMT
On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> OK... FINE... ARGH...
>
> The only sane ways to handle this are:
>
> 1. Require apache mirrors to be virtual hosts... not practical.
>    Further, www.apache.org/httpd/ is not implemented by the mirror
>    sites, so this too is impractical (besides, it doubles references
>    found by the website.
>
> 2. Get rid of /httpd/ ... redirect it to /
>
> Well???  Suggestions?
>
> ITMT - I'll back the changes out.

I think the correct short-term solution is

RedirectMatch /httpd/.* http://www.apache.org/httpd

This is not, however, a general solution.  Try, for example,
http://www.apache.org/docs/index.html/asdfasdf or
http://www.apache.org/index.html/wow/is/this/fun

This will work for any SSI document.  It happens this way to
allow people to make creative use of PATH_INFO.  However,
many people complain about it, and it would be nice if there
was a way to disable this.

--
Joshua Slive
slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca