httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sascha Schumann <sas...@schumann.cx>
Subject Re: BSDi build?
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2000 13:25:28 GMT
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 12:28:25AM -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> > > OK. Let me rephrase that. Does a BSDi system have gmake installed in
> > > standard configurations?
> >
> > Yes, assuming the admin doesn't decide not to install it.
> >
> > I still don't like the idea of requiring it though since this isn't about
> > BSDI but about portability in general and there are a whole lot of other
> > platforms around, but...
>
> So, do makes like this exist on any other relevant platforms? I
> suspect they do.

    The lack of evidence does not confirm that suspection. PHP
    has been installed on a wide variety of systems and we only
    have a few reports (2 or 3) about this problem from BSDI
    users. But, of course, there might be some esoteric systems
    which chose to not support the include directive.

    BSDi seem to have made a deliberate decision: Either they
    did not merge in the changes from 4.4BSD Lite 1 or they
    disabled the SYSVINCLUDE option. All other derivatives
    started to adopt the SYSVINCLUDE option quickly:

    NetBSD 0.9    (Mar 1993)  no   [1]
    FreeBSD 1.0   (Jun 1993)  no   [1]
    386BSD        (Oct 1993)  no   [1]
    4.4BSD Lite 1 (Apr 1994)       [2]
    FreeBSD 2.0   (May 1994)  yes  [3]
    NetBSD 1.0    (Nov 1994)  yes  [1]

    While the UNIX history graph[4] implies that 4.4BSD Lite 1
    was merged into BSD/OS 2.0, I have not found any textual
    confirmation.

    If we take the history graph as a base, all recent OS with
    one exception are known to support the include directive
    (AIX, HP/UX, GNU, UnixWare, OpenServer, Tru64, IRIX, Solaris,
    Mac OS X, *BSD).

    [1] ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/rom/  (see the BSDisc_* dirs)
    [2] http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/BSD-info/Textfiles/4.4BSD.txt
    [3] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/make/parse.c
    [4] http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/history.htm

    - Sascha