httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: subrequest filtering (yet again)
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:46:03 GMT

A couple of things.  Tony and I have had multiple discussions of sub
request filtering, and we still haven't come up with a great decision,
which is why we haven't posted anything before.  I will try to summarize
what we keep going back and forth about.

Our original hypothesis was that sub requests should just inherit the
connection based filters, and all content filters should be re-generated
based on the actual content.

But, A sub request is essentially a part of this current request, so the
output of the sub request really has to go through the same filters as the
main-line request.

Take for example mod_include.  If we include a file through a #include
virtual directive, we use a sub-request.  Well, all of the data in that
sub-request is actually a part of the original request.  What if we have a
gzip filter setup for the original request, the sub request has to go
through the same gzip filter in the correct order.

The best we have really come up with so far, is that we the sub-request
output should go to the next filter in the stack.  At least I am pretty
sure that was what we decided.

As far as removing filters.  We need that ability.  I am really hoping to
get back into the Apache coding soon.  I know I keep saying that.  One of
my first projects will be to just allow people to remove a filter from the
filter stack.

I think the big thing that is missing, is that a sub-request does want to
inherit some of the filters.  I really think we need to code this one way
and see if it works, because right now, we are really just flailing
blindly at what we think the design should be, based on logic, not
experience.  As we all know, sometimes the best design just doesn't take
the smallest detail into account.

Ryan

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> I gather that most folks want a subrequest to inherit the content
> filters associated with the original request.  Why is this?  If the
> set of filters isn't appropriate, you can't get rid of them.  If the
> set of filters is appropriate, then the configuration associated with
> the subrequest URI would have caused the right filters to be added
> anyway (unless the URI of the subrequest is only requested via a
> subrequest).
>
> What am I missing?
>
> --
> Jeff Trawick | trawick@ibm.net | PGP public key at web site: