httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Dr. Dobb's Article
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:46:17 GMT

That article was written back in like February of this
year.  Unfortunately, that is one of the problems with print media, they
take about six months to articles actually published.  :-(

The bigger problem, is that Windows has not been fixed yet.  Windows
should be returning errno values, so that it can share code with other
platforms.  The GetLastError values should be APR_OS_START_SYSERR on
Windows.  If Windows continues to use plain GetLastError values as it's
return values for APR functions, then it cannot share any code at all with
other platforms, because those other platforms all expect errno
values.  But, I have explained all of this before, as have others (Jeff
Trawick I believe originally pointed out the problem), but nobody wants to
listen.

Ryan

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Greg Marr wrote:

> Ryan, I read your recent article about APR in the October 2000 Dr.
> Dobb's Journal the other day. (The table of contents for the issue is
> at http://www.ddj.com/articles/2000/0010/0010toc.htm.  Unfortunately,
> they didn't publish the entire article online.)  Was that article
> written before the recent overhaul of the ap_status_t values?  It
> seemed like the article was saying that APR functions return errno
> values directly, and modify other values before returning them.  I
> thought that it ended up that Windows didn't return errno directly,
> but rather GetLastError().
> --
> Greg Marr
> gregm@alum.wpi.edu
> "We thought you were dead."
> "I was, but I'm better now." - Sheridan, "The Summoning"

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131