httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: looking for help with buckets
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:09:18 GMT

Buckets are very flexible.  They have been designed to avoid memory copies
at all costs.  First of all, take a look at ap_bucket_create_heap.  This
bucket type is designed to take memory allocated from someplace else and
put it into a bucket.

Also, look at mod_include and http_core.  Both of these files have
examples of buckets.

Finally, a small plug here, I have a series of articles coming out at
ApacheToday.com explaining buckets and filtering in detail.  The first of
these articles was submitted earlier today, and should be on the site
soon-ish.  After that they are about a month apart.  After three months,
ApacheToday.com no longer has exclusive rights to the material, and I will
be committing it to the Apache docs.

Ryan

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Gregory Nicholls wrote:

> Hi,
>     I'm looking for some advice on the newly correct method of sending data
> to the client. AFAIK it's now something to do with buckets and wot not. What
> I'm wondering is if there's a way of transmogrifying a malloc'ed data area
> into one of these bucket thingies or alternatively, a way of setting the
> data directly. I'm trying to avoid double copies of data (ie. I read from
> (say) a file into a buffer and then from that buffer into a bucket).
>     Any and all help appreciated.
>         G.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131