httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 & FreeBSD 4
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:46:16 GMT

A couple of things.  #1 I would think a threaded MPM wouldn't be very
performant on a machine without threads.  You may want to check to make
sure that your kernel has threading enabled.

#2 People really need to understand that during the 1.3 development, Dean
did a very good performance analysis of the code.  Mike Abbot has begun
that work for 2.0, but we haven't committed many, if any, of his
patches.  After the tree stabilizes, I have it on my list of things to do,
but personally, I am not interested in really doing a good performance
analysis until then

#3 There is really no reason to expect 2.0 to be more performant that
1.3.  The goals for 2.0 were scalability and performance on non-unix
machines.  I think we met those goals, and we assumed performance wouldn't
decrease on Unix.  We may have been wrong about that, at least until we
can really tune it.

Ryan

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, David Reid wrote:

> Just a straightforward ./configure was used so I guess mpmt_pthread.  On
> another machine I'm seeing better results, though still not as high as I'd
> have expected.  I guess the original machine needs some attention.
>
> david

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131