httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.cutil_filter.c
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 19:09:05 GMT
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > > Um-hmm.  And how about all the other directives that take
> > > extensions as arguments?  Are you going to suggest that we
> > > rewrite all of them?
> >
> > Nope, do you plan on suggesting that we re-write all the ones
> > that don't?
>
> No.  But there are currently no equivalent containers for
> IMTs -- so in order to set up filtering based on IMT, we would
> now have to have *two* directives instead of one.

Yes, one that adds a filter stack for a specific entity.  The second
associates a single filter with a single input filter type.  The output
filter type is specified by the filter itself, so we can ignore that.  If
we start associating multiple filters with a given mime type, then we will
end up having to create bogus mime types just so that we can have multiple
filter stacks for the same mime type.

> > > But that shouldn't change the filter chain.
> >
> > Doesn't that completely violate the principle of least astonishment?
> > I have a filter that I associated with a mime-type.  I have a CGI
> > that has that mime-type, but it doesn't get run through the filter?
> > I know I would be thoroughly confused by that.
>
> Bogus example; CGI is a content generator, and so is originating
> the type, not changing it.

Fine.  mod_header adds a header file to the front of a response.  This
file may be an SSI file.  mod_header is called from default_handler which
is outputting text/html.  Now, mod_header needs to modify the mime-type so
that the SSI tags are evaluated.  If the server can't do this, then we
have violated the principle of least astonishment.

The admin has specified that an SSI file must be included in the response,
so they want mopd_include called.  Or, mod_perl has a filter that converts
things to SSI tags, now we need mod_mime.

> > I scratched my itch, feel free to scrath yours.
>
> I'm asking you to stop scratching them in the public tree
> when other people are actively discussing the issue.

And I'm saying that my directive works and it doesn't stop people from
changing it.  It doesn't make the server seg fault when it is used.  It
just lets me work on filters.  It also lets anybody else work on filters
without waiting for a decision about the "perfect" way to do this.  At
least now, Joe Shmoe who wants to work with filtering can actually get
their filter into their server without hacking the main code.  That wasn't
the case last before last night.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131