httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject RE: include module.
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 16:45:11 GMT
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Why is this ugly?
>
> main request:
>
> This is the start of a test... could be slow, so hang on!
> <!--#include virtual="slow.cgi" -->
> Thanks for waiting end
>
> The author expects the first message to -pop- as the user starts,
> and slow.cgi can chug along.  When it finishes, the author expected
> the message to let the user know it's done.
>
> Of course fragments must be cast out to the client as they are ready.

Its ugly for a couple of reasons.  #1, the macros to split bucket brigades
are a bit hairy, and can cause a lot of problems.  I had to re-write
mod_include about ten times to make it all work properly.

Secondly, The author doesn't expect the first message to -pop-, they
expect as much as possible to -pop-.  That's a small difference, but it's
important.  Assume the CGI is a very small script that doesn't do much,
and it always returns in under a second.  Well, presumably the sub-request
could be sent in the same network packet as the rest of the SSI.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131