httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/main http_core.c http_protocol.c util_filter.c
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:22:50 GMT

> Since this has a different syntax than what Ken proposed previously, I
> wonder which part of Ken's proposed syntax you disagreed with and
> which part is simply not yet implemented.  (It may well be that you
> didn't disagree with anything but were simply establishing a baseline
> to be extended later.  I'm just wondering.)

There are a couple of problems with the syntax that Ken proposed that I
discovered when trying to implement it.

1)  The first argument being an extension or file name is wrong IMHO.  We
already have a means for attaching things to files or extensions.  Those
are file or directory sections.

2)  The first argument being a mime-type just confuses things.  Are we
using the mime-type of the original file or the thing we are sending to
the network?  If we are using the original file, then that assumes that we
can add filters at any time based on mime-type, which Ken has expressed
some reluctance to.  For example:

A CGI outputs a response with a mime type
x-server-parsed/html, which we have setup to use mod_include's
filter.  Now, mod_include is returning (for arguments sake) a response
with text/html, which goes through gzip-content.

See, the mime type can change half-way through a request.  And maybe
that's what we want, but it shouldn't be this directive.

There should be another directive that associates a single filter with a
mime-type, then those directives can be used together to setup a filter
stack.  For right now, I needed a way to add filters cleanly from my
config file and this does it.  I will change the name to AddOutputFilter,
because that is a necessary change.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131