httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: eek. poor chunking behavior.
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 15:05:37 GMT

> > buffer gets an EOS bucket.  The data is sent to the chunk filter.  Here
> > the chunking data gets added.  Then it is passed to the core filter.  Now,
> > the core filter looks at how much data it has and determines that it isn't
> > worth sending yet, so it wants to save that data aside.  But, we have an
> > EOS, so we save the data to the bucket brigade that lives in the conn_rec
> > structure.  This works regardless of what filters are in the stack.
>
> So the core filter still needs to have buffering logic even when we
> have a buffering filter?  If that is the case then perhaps, as
> somebody (Tony?) mentioned last night, the relatively simple buffering
> logic should be duplicated in the chunk filter and the core filter.

Tony and I have discussed this at length.  I don't believe this is an
issue at all.  If the handlers are well written, then this problem pretty
much goes away, and since the buffering logic is incredibly simple (two
calls to pre-defined functions and an if statement), then yes I believe
this logic can and should be duplicated.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131