httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: eek. poor chunking behavior.
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2000 17:10:26 GMT
On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Greg Stein wrote:

> I'm debugging a problem with the current Apache response behavior, and I
> actually got a chance to see the chunking output.
>
> Using BUFF, the response would be one big-ass chunk.
> Using the filter, I've got 21 (!!)
>
> Simple explanation: each brigade maps into a chunk, rather than each
> buffered network packet.
>
> Solution? Dunno offhand. Going back to using BUFF would be one answer.
> Beyond that, I don't have any suggested alternatives.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Coalesce the buckets into bigger buckets.  This was mentioned as a much
needed improvement when the chunking filter was first committed.  It is
very likely that the comment was deleted at some point.  BUFF is not the
correct solution, because it forces memcopies.  By just having the
chunking filter do a bit of buffering, we solve the problem much cleaner,
and we can avoid a big number of the memcpys.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131