httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@covalent.net
Subject Re: AAP vs. Zeus (was Re: AAP patch for 2.0a6 available)
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 22:30:13 GMT

> > On a dual-PentiumIII Linux 2.4 system we found that Apache/2.0 with the
> > state-threaded MPM runs at about 2/3 the speed of Zeus 3.3.  With the
> > dexter MPM it runs at about 1/2 Zeus.  For reference, Apache/1.3.12
> > fully accelerated with the AAP's patches runs faster than Zeus and
> > spends 1/2 as much time as Zeus and 1/4 as much time as Apache/2.0 in
> > user mode.  Linux 2.2 exhibits negative scalability (two processors are
> > slower than one); 2.4 is much better.  Here's the Linux 2.4 data
> > normalized to Apache/1.3.12:
> >
> > software		speed	user / system time
> > --------		-----	------------------
> > Apache/1.3.12 + AAP	1.00	6% / 94%
> > Zeus 3.3		0.92	13% / 87%
> > Apache/2.0a4 + STM	0.68	25% / 75%
> > Apache/2.0a4 + dexter	0.54	25% / 75%
>
> Well, that stinks.  From what workload were these figures derived?  Since
> you mention negative CPU scalability in Linux 2.2, I would assume that you
> are spraying static content over a fast wire.

Actually, it doesn't stink.  Consider the fact that Apache 1.3 was tuned
by Dean for good performance, and nobody has really sat down with 2.0 to
do performance tuning yet.  We need a stable solid server before we can
worry about performance.  There are also many places that this performance
stuff can be hiding.  I would suspect that our performance will improve
dramatically if we just switch the default poll code in APR to use select
instead of poll.  Don't worry about performance yet, let's get 2.0 working
solidly first.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131