httpd-dev mailing list archives

Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/modules/standard mod_cgi.c
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:37:25 GMT

> Why is it important for mod_cgi to send down the eos bucket?  It seems
> at best to be a minor optimization, it currently introduces
> broken-ness because of what ap_finalize_request_protocol() does, and
> even if the ap_finalize_request_protocol() calls can be safely
> removed, the EOS still doesn't work right for subrequests until
> ap_pass_brigade() knows to axe the EOS before it hits the connection
> filters.
> Plz help me understand (or don't complain if I yank the EOS from
> mod_cgi :) ).

First, sorry it took me so long to get back with the answer.  I have been
without e-mail for a few days.  The reason it is important, is that it is
impossible to add the heap bucket created by reading from a pipe bucket,
in a single entity brigade.  That is the BS reason though.  the real
reason, is that it allows for so much flexability to have the content
generator say when it is finished generating content.  It just doesn't
make sense for Apache to say it is done, when the content generator is the
only thing that really knows when it is donr generating content.  The real
fix is to fix the rest of the handler functions, and remove the code from
the finalize protocol function.

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131