httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: new toy -- mod_ext_filter
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 22:36:28 GMT
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> mod_ext_filter filters the response body using an external program.
> The response body received by mod_ext_filter is written to the external
> program's standard input; the replacement response body is read from
> the external program's standard output.  Existing programs can thus
> be used to filter output.  Try /bin/sort for a good laugh.

LOL! More usefully, you could probably do this with gzip and/or bzip2? A
little bit of creative redirection, and you could do the same trick some
FTP servers do - providing foo.tar, foo.tar.gz and foo.tar.bz2 on the fly
from a single file on disk...

Continuing the new toy theme, there's a rather nice (albeit currently
horribly crude and broken :-) HTTP record/playback tool I've been working
on recently. It was written to automate regression testing on a WWW
application, but could be used for almost any WWW testing. Hopefully I'll
get permission to OS it some time next week - if so, anyone interested??

James.