httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [Fwd: png icons for apache]
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:14:40 GMT
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 00-09-18 14:45:50 EDT,  J. Sutherland writes.
>
> >  thinking in terms of the GIFs in the Apache tarballs, though, which ARE
> >  simple files - do you agree with a period of "parallel operation" - GIFs
> >  and PNGs - then ditching the GIFs as and when we need to?
>
> No. To use your term... 'Why bother?'

How about rephrasing that to why NOT bother? It's not as if it costs us
anything - a few moments of time, and an extra couple of K on the tarball?
Hardly a big deal either way.

> Until there is some real reason to change formats .PNG will still
> remain a 'backroom' graphics format and the GIF/PNG issues will
> remain. Yes... I know... .PNG is actually better... but that and the
> price of tea will get you to China. Joe Public doesn't know that and
> doesn't see the difference ( or want to ).

He doesn't need to. Look at the Validator WWW site - validator.w3.org.
They do exactly what I'm advocating: GIFs and PNGs, and you get whichever
one is more appropriate, thanks to Apache.

> Is someone actively trying to sue Apache into royalty payments? Where
> do they think the money will come from for the royalties, IBM?
> Covalent? Brian Belhendorf?

Does it matter? I just think we should offer the clients both. If they can
use PNGs and we can supply them, why not do it?

> I guess I'm just a little radical. If owners of GIF think they can
> start squeezing some people for royalties and not others then I say
> let them try. I can't think of a better test case for the lawyers to
> have this out once and for all than for someone to be stupid enough to
> try and press the Apache group itself into paying royalties for
> using/distributing simple .GIF files.
>
> Bring it on. Get it over with, once and for all.
> The case is weak and any good lawyer will have a field day.

I'm not bothered either way, but why shouldn't we offer PNGs??

James.