httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [Fwd: png icons for apache]
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:56:31 GMT
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 TOKILEY@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 00-09-18 13:49:18 EDT, James writes...
>
> > No - but is there a real problem? If we drop the GIFs now, there IS a REAL
> >  problem: things break. Not everthing speaks PNG!
>
> In the single case of Apache's use of .GIF... why not just change
> them all to .JPG? The only browsers I know of that support .GIF
> but not .JPG are some of the wireless handheld deals... but that's
> another story... they are always going through a gateway and a
> transcoding proxy that's supposed to take care of all that
> auto-magically. ( Convert .JPG back to .GIF for User-Agents that
> only handle .GIF ).

JPEGs aren't really the right format for icons. This is the ASF, not the
FSF - we can use GIFs for the time being, I just think we should offer
both, with PNGs being used where possible.

At some point in the future, we can drop GIFs; at that point, we might
want to offer JPEGs as a fallback from PNGs. In the meantime, I think PNG
then GIF is the way to go.

James.