httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [Fwd: png icons for apache]
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:57:24 GMT
On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 09:41:27AM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
> > How about the approach used by the W3C for the Validator's images -
> > provide both formats, and let negotiation sort it out? That way, wherever
> > possible you're serving up nice "clean" PNGs, but you still have the GIFs
> > available for older browsers.
>
> This doesn't avoid the problems with providing GIFs in the first
> place, though, does it?

No - but is there a real problem? If we drop the GIFs now, there IS a REAL
problem: things break. Not everthing speaks PNG!

If we go for a dual-format approach now, we can drop GIFs if and when we
need to, and the transition will be much less painful. Much better than
making a hasty all-or-nothing decision which breaks older browsers
suddenly!

James.