httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Logging aborted connections in the access log
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 07:29:08 GMT
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Tony Finch wrote:

> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> >Bill Stoddard <stoddard@raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. Introduce a new LogFormat formatting field, %c, which would spit
> >> out a suitable indicator. " X" if the connection was aborted, "-"
> >> otherwise.
> >
> >I like this, but what about "!", "*" or some other unambigous symbol?
>
> I also like it, but note that using any sort of symbol will be
> ambiguous to some people.

You think 404 or 203 is nice and intuitive? :-)

A nice simple single-character indication seems best to me. Raw logfiles
aren't particularly readable anyway, except to diagnose individual file
problems - the main use for this field will be in log analysers, I expect.
There are other reasons - I18N concerns, space efficiency, performance.

On this subject, though, how about a sort of "logfile interpreter"? A
simple piece of code to expand each line with the meaning of each status
code etc. could be useful, I think?

James.