httpd-dev mailing list archives

From James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: usec vs sec
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:28:33 GMT
On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Mike Abbott wrote:

> Without losing resolution, it is harder to optimize away the
> gettimeofday() per request in 2.0 than it was to optimize away the
> time() per request in 1.3.  Is microsecond resolution for
> r->request_time absolutely necessary?  What's the penalty for lost
> resolution (for example, to 10ms or 1s)?

The big question is what the time is used for. The most obvious two places
are the log files, and HTTP response headers, both of which quote a time
to one second resolution anyway. Perhaps the MPM could maintain a "current
time" variable, updated once per second? (Better still, we could
pre-compose timestamp strings in the appropriate format, cutting the CPU
overhead of generating a header?)

James.