httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "BIXBY,MARK (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <mark_bi...@hp.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/os/mpeix Makefile.tmpl dlopen.c os -inline.c
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 17:28:58 GMT

There are no applicable Apache PRs or HP customer SRs (service requests).
We in the MPE lab determined these changes were necessary in order to permit
more flexible use of the User and Group directives in httpd.conf.

All of these changes are #ifdef MPE, so I don't see any side effects to
other platforms either.

> >   I didn't much like the group permissions switch with this port
> > for SHM_R/SHM_W... [I understand that it's necessary] but please
> > submit the patch to whatever document might be appropriate to
> > reflect the potential security impact.
>
>   Correction... that doc request goes for all suexec related
> behavior.  Doc the exception under the suexec docs, and you can
> just point to the MPE port doc with a detailed explanation of what
> you accomplished here.

These changes have nothing to do with the suexec.c CGI wrapper, and in fact
suexec.c won't even execute on MPE since I've never submitted the required
#ifdef MPE changes to permit this.  I'm in full agreement with the suexec
docs that you shouldn't be using this if you don't know what you're doing.
We at HP currently have no plans to support suexec.c on MPE unless customers
start asking for it, and so far nobody has.

I'm confused about which suexec doc you want me to modify (if you still want
me to given the above explanation).  Should it be suexec.html?  I don't see
any OS-specific text in there right now.

I will alter the MPE port docs to mention these changes.

>   And [any MPE users] please start banging on it... I don't want
> another 1.3.10 :-)

Neither do I!  :-)

- Mark B.